health Sep 29, 2021Nootropics 101
Aug 3, 2022
Types of Self Care
Explore the six different types of self-care, and find out why it’s important to hold space for each in order to live a harmonious life.
What Is Self-Care?
The term ‘self-care’ describes a conscious act that someone takes in order to enhance their wellbeing. Self-care can be grouped into six main categories:
This category includes things that stimulate your brain and impact your psychological wellbeing.
- Reading books, solving puzzles, or learning a new language are some activities that may stimulate your brain.
- Practicing empathy, building self-compassion, and encouraging acceptance are some examples of things that have a direct impact on your happiness and psychological wellbeing.
Sometimes in life, you may face situations that are out of your control that cause sadness, anxiety, fear, and anger. It’s important to practice healthy ways to process these emotions when they arise.
This includes anything that helps keep the core aspects of your life running and prevents future stress. Staying organized makes it easier to find what you need, while maintaining a consistent routine can help reduce decision fatigue.
Community and close connections are important to our wellbeing. Spending time with people you care about enriches your life and can instill a sense of purpose.
Spiritual self-care does not have to be religious. It simply refers to anything that brings you a sense of peace or purpose, and deepens your connection with the world and with yourself.
Building a Foundation for Your Self-Care Plan:
- Identify areas that may cause you stress. Consider some ways that you would want to manage that stress if it arose.
- Test some strategies that you’re interested in implementing for a short period of time to see how they feel. For example, developing your boundaries around alcohol, limiting time spent on social media, or committing to a workout routine can have a measurable impact on how you feel, but can take time to build.
- Be patient and stay open-minded. Some strategies may work better than others, but don’t let that discourage you. Always remember that the goal is to take things one step at a time—you do not need to fix everything at once!
- Don’t forget to take care of yourself. Building consistent healthy habits is key to a harmonious life, but it’s still work. Making sure you’re getting enough sleep, spending time in nature, and meditating are some things that may help to center you.